Sep 21, 2014

Sacrifice

When he punched me in the face
I offered the other cheek
because love is sacrifice, right?


When she pulled my hair
down the stairs and into the toilet
I resigned my cries for another day
because patience is a virtue, it's true!


I signed away rights to my own self at seven months gestation
born premature, my lungs were not developed to carry enough air for me to scream out
the umbilical card forever wrapped tight around my windpipe


Obedience is a ritual we carry on long after we're born
Fueled by hopes for a higher heaven
Dreams carried on generation to generation by the medium of television
Shows where women burn at the altar of sin and admiration


We share laughter after every lashings
time forgives the faded marks on my back
as did the tears and ointment my mom rubs
admonishing me for being so stubborn, at age seven
"What will the family of your future husband say?"


Must
Save
Face
Don't talk back
Must 
Save 
Face
Close your legs
Must 
Save 
Face
It's for your own good anyway


Like cattle are branded and trained to be given away.


Because when a woman and a man marries,
it binds two families
but mother, you look away from signs of my slow slaughter
am I no longer your daughter?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give me some beat, mr Saxo!