Sep 21, 2014

Aurat

Brothers and sisters,

You say nowadays purity is scarce,
because you judge purity by the length of my scarf,
to you purity is a shy virgin
a woman's value trapped within our hymen

Some countries prize me by the absence of a driver's license
as if by being mobile I would drive myself straight to hell without their guidance.

But no matter how much skin I cover,
you will still find fault with the cloth's colour
Too bright!
Too pink!
Too many flowers!
As if my veil is the ground to plant your gaze
and I should provide you that space without complaints.

Should I not be bothered
that these brothers from a different mother
deign to write book after book after book
discussing the sins "caused" by my looks
Shaming the blame women shoulder for every single society's disorder.

From folk tale "hadith" you repeat
"Eve was created from Adam's bent rib
so treat women gently for their will is weak"
Is this why prisons are filled with male convicts?
and yet none of my sisters are ever in FBI's top ten most wanted list?
(I wikipedia'd this)
I get it, men are perhaps too strong for their own benefit
But that would be blaming God, wouldn't it?
As if He had made His creations imperfect
Blasphemy!

And so strong that you would rather
blame the weakness of the masculine gender
for bullying, rape, Justin Bieber's behaviour
and say "boys will be boys!"

Our hymen forcibly taken,
you then propose marriage as an only solution
to the bad credit you let us inherit
your seeds sown grow into gossip
and the nine months make ample time
for you to catalogue ways to criticize our robes becoming too tight.

Three definitions
In the Quran
Only three mention
Aurat (1)
A gap vulnerable to an enemy's worst intentions
Aurat (2)
Embarassing nudity with audience participation
Aurat (3)
Contents of the room of a couple bound by marital sanction

And yet
As a girl I was taught to be gentle and not talk so loud
To not be seen, to not be heard
In classrooms teachers teach me to read, but not to utter a single word
Especially when that word was "why?"

And so I grew up burrying questions deep in my silence
Building a labyrinth of tangled passions
Leaving a pile of "why"'s behind.

When we talk about purity
Start talking about integrity
talk about kindness, talk about intelligence
Let's talk about bravery because
these clothes conceal more than just skin
this cloth is not for hiding.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give me some beat, mr Saxo!