Oct 21, 2008

Hamsters Gone Wild


Hamsters are supposed to be cute, lovable animals that gnaw on lettuce, carrot, or sunflower seed in a way that makes you go "awwww...". At least, those that are up for sale should be quite aww inducing, I think, especially in malls.

Especially in HUGE malls like Carrefour.

Especially when they are tiny dwarves.

I didn't have my camera at that time, or you would be seeing a different picture up there and I could actually say "Lo and behold!". Alas, I witnessed the grossest thing in my life (allow jeng jeng jeng music here): CANNIBAL HAMSTERS!

Tata and I went to Carrefour two days ago, early morning as we didn't have anything better to do, and I needed to buy some arts and crafts supplies. The reason this is only being written now is because I couldn't believe my eyes and had to do research first on the subject. Here, here, and some sicko here. You won't find this subject in Wikipedia!

What I saw were cute hamsters running around and rubbing their faces. Then I realized that only TWO hamsters were running around while the other one is slumped in a corner. Automatically, I thought it was asleep. Then I saw one of the hamsters nudging at the butt of the immobile hamster. I simply thought they were merely playing around.

Upon closer inspection, I was horrified to see that the hamster was actually chewing off the butt of its dead friend. Everybody together now: YUCK! The corpse just lied there, with one eye missing and the white parts of its brain exposed. Then another hamster followed suit, but went straight to the ears of its deceased friend (giving new meaning to brain picking). Worse, they started a game of tug-o-war and sometimes switched positions, as if they were enjoying it.

It seemed that none of the Carrefour staff had noticed it. But the really sick part was the fact that Tata and I both stood there, enthralled at the sadistic side of nature.

We're freaks, really.

2 comments:

  1. i do love hamsters, though hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Then make sure you don't get them from Carrefour

    ReplyDelete

Give me some beat, mr Saxo!